Monday, March 10, 2014

Social Networking Sites

Hello fellow bloggers,

I recently visited 4 different social networking sites and wanted to compare my first impressions of each! The four sites are: Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and Tumblr. Here we go!

 Facebook: I have actually used Facebook for years. My impression is that it is a great way to establish social connections with friends, or people you haven't actually met yet formally. It is a great way to share thoughts or feelings through status updates, profile pictures, and cover photos. It also lets your friends see what you've been up to through regular picture uploads, or 'photos of you'.

Myspace: One of the pioneers in social networking along with Xanga in my opinion! Myspace was definitely cool, and ahead of its time. Myspace design scripts are definitely unique for social networking because it lets the users be more expressive when sharing thoughts or posts! Colorful backgrounds? Check. Trailing mouse designs? Check. Automatic music player? Check. Fancy digital clocks? Check. Whatever you can think of for your Myspace design, there's probably already a a script for! The creepy thing is the ability to check who has viewed your Myspace though.

Twitter: Definitely a new concept! Allows users to have conversations through #tweets. Unique limitation to 140 characters, forces users to be concise on what they want to communicate. The use of hashtags definitely has #revolutionized #socialmedia though. #twitter #hashtag #abuse. It seems like Twitter is not staying stagnant either, as they look to expand their platform to be more versatile!

Tumblr: Different from the rest, being a blog site. Aims to be more private, yet still is social media through the use of followers. Like Myspace, it offers a customizable background for the blog, and offers twitter-like #hashtags. Overall, it's the concept of an open diary. I like it!

How are your social media experiences? What different social networking sites do you guys use?!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Xanga way more than Myspace. I was so sad when Xanga closed down. I was really active on Xanga. People gave really good advice on Xanga and they were really close knit. Myspace didn’t really impress me at all. I rarely ever used it. Tumblr is, of course, the best place to blog and rant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your post sounds so energetic. It was fun to read. Also, when suddenly a whole bunch of hashtags were included in your paragraph about Twitter, I thought it really does sum up a good portion of Twitter! And yes, I definitely agree with you about how Tumblr is like an open diary. I often blog about my days there and reblog lots of things I just like or find funny. It's such a great site to go to to just be me.

    ReplyDelete