Monday, April 28, 2014

The Next New Thing

Since the sudden burst of popularity of the internet, many things that could possible be thought up of have already been thought of in one way, shape, or form. That is why when wondering about the next new thing, it is hard to think of the next facebook, or the next twitter. That's why I feel that when I see the next new thing, I'm thinking more revolutionary.
What I see in the future is an improved version of the popular website, Yelp.com. The improved version will not be a revamp of the review system, or aesthetics, but rather the integration of the growing trend of 3D (and even 4D technology). When moving from a Web 2.0 era to a Web 3.0 era, information must be suited to our needs and prefereces, and what better way to have that than to include possible 4D technology. In the specific instance of yelp, that means the user will not be stuck with limited information and pictures. Through the integration of the new technology they will be able to see exactly what the inside of a restaurant looks from a 3D standpoint, and be able to smell and/or feel the food before the consumer makes a conscious decision about the restaurant.
A new media like this can have a huge impact in the rest of the new media technology, and I'm excited for the day this will be created.

4 comments:

  1. I really do think we see this type of technology in the future. I use Yelp a lot and most of the time people don't really post pictures of the food or the store. I really take into account how food look and how the store does as well (cleanliness, lighting, etc). If this technology is implemented, I feel that we'd be better to make decisions about where to eat. Appealing to the senses and allowing users to get a feel of the store, is a great way to market as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny, I really think this is an amazing idea! You should be a new web developer of Yelp! “Smell the food”, “Feel the food” may seem like an impossible and ridiculous idea but I can imagine it being feasible in next 20 years! As an avid Yelp user, I would love to see Yelp improving in next few decades. It would save not only time but also money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love it if this technology existed. There are countless times where I visit a highly recommended restaurant to find myself in a pigsty. The food was good but the environment makes the meal less satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea as a revolutionary technology. Being able to actually see and get a sense of what the inside of the restaurant is like from a 3D standpoint will impact more than just new media technology. For instance, if every potential customer is doing some research with this 3D technology, all services will make sure everything is clean and sparkling. :D It'll be cool to do some 3D shopping like this!

    ReplyDelete